Microsoft has just released Insider Preview Build 14279 to the fast ring for Windows 10 Insiders. It includes two new features in Cortana: support for Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese (Brazil), and French (Canada) languages, as well as the ability to set reminders without due dates. More details after the jump!
Another week, another Redstone Insider Build. This one is numbered 14279, eight ahead of the previous build 14271 Insider Preview Build. As these minor build jumps usually go, this one has a handful of minor new features. Let’s discuss them one by one.
Cortana speaks more languages and can remember reminders without due dates
Windows 10 is used in all corners of the globe, so it makes sense for voice-based assistant Cortana to recognize and respond back in all major languages of the world. Redstone Build 14279 brings Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese (Brazil) and French (Canada) language support in Cortana. With each new language that Cortana supports, Microsoft ensures it matches the local customs and culture. You’ll find more details on that in their official blog post.
Besides this, you can now ask Cortana to remind you of tasks without giving her a specific due date. This is great for important but not-so highly urgent tasks like cleaning up your car, or calling a family member. Just say, “Remind me to wash my car” and Cortana will add it right away without asking for the deadline. No pressure!
Single lockscreen and logon screen wallpaper
Previously, Windows 10 would have separate wallpapers for the lockscreen – which you see after you wake up your computer – and the logon screen – which you see when you need to enter your account password. Redstone Build 14279 now uses a single wallpaper for both of them which makes for a more unified logging in experience. We’ve previously discussed how you can change your lockscreen wallpaper, so do check that out too.
Folks who rely on Windows Spotlight for their lockscreen wallpapers will have to wait a bit, as Microsoft has promised they’ll update the login experience in a future build. Meanwhile, do checkout the SpotBright app for downloading Windows Spotlight wallpapers.
- The Windows 10 Photos app now allows you to directly export selected photos to the new Microsoft Office Sway app to make an interactive story on a website. Meh.
- The Xbox app (beta) for Windows 10 now comes with a Gamerscore leaderboard and a tweaked Featured section.
Bugfixes in Build 14279
- Fixed: Those who used roaming profiles would see crashes in Microsoft Edge and Cortana.
- Fixed: Cortana will no longer show completed reminders as due ones.
- Fixed: Items copied to the Windows Desktop would not show up without manually refreshing it from the right-click context menu.
- Fixed: Downloading drivers using Windows Update would cause the blue screen of death.
Known Issues in Build 14279
- Kaspersky suites of anti-malware apps still do not work. If you’re a Windows 10 Insider in the fast ring, consider switching to Windows Defender until Microsoft fixes this.
- Surface Pro 3/4 and Book devices freeze or simply get stuck randomly, and all input devices stop working. The work-around is to hard-reset your Surface by pressing and holding the Power button.
- Hibernation is causing the blue screen of death for some users. Consider disabling hibernation until this is fixed.
For more details, check out the official blogpost.
(via Windows Blog)